Monday, February 18, 2013

Beyonce & The Presence of God


        I've been thinking a lot about God's presence lately. In this new season of Life Groups at my church, our Life Group Coordinator told all of us leaders that our main focus will be on “God-consiousness.” Being aware of and acknowledging with our head, heart and actions that God is ever-present. Knowing that God the Father is above all, through all, and living in all.

        So I've been thinking about what it really looks like to be in the presence of the Creator of the Universe. In Genesis, it doesn't just say that Adam and Eve hid from The Lord, it says they hid from THE PRESENCE of the Lord. Also, Cain went out from the PRESENCE of the Lord.

        I recently watched Beyonce's self-directed documentary, “Life Is But A Dream.” Now look, I love Beyonce. I love everything about her. I'd like to be her. And I'm not saying I am Beyonce, I'm just saying you'll never see us in the same room together and my friends had trouble finding me during the Superbowl half-time show... so... I'll let you decide for yourself. But one recurring thing I noticed as this documentary was on were the clips where she steps out of her car, or out of a building, or onto the stage and after about .5 seconds of silence, this overwhelming roar takes place. AND THIS IS BEFORE SHE EVEN OPENS HER MOUTH TO SING. So I started thinking about how strong just the presence of Beyonce is. It is dead silent until she shows up and all the sudden everyone is loosing their freaking minds. I know for a fact that when Beyonce is not around, not one fan is walking the streets of the city, or riding in their car, or sitting in class, or at their office shouting with tears streaming down their face, “Beyonce, I love you! I'm your number one fan! Please sign my forehead! I'd do anything for you! I swear when you wrote 'Crazy in Love' you were channeling me and my boyfriend! Dump Jay-Z! Marry Me!” No, none of that happens until Beyonce is present.

        And then for 2 hours, during her concert, those fans are all in. They do not stop letting Beyonce know how much they adore her. I don't think they could stop if they tried. Every time she make a move, sings a note, gives that strangely fierce stare thingy, they go NUTS.

        And just as quickly as the roar starts when Beyonce is present is how quickly it goes away once the door closes or she heads backstage. When she is not present, when the fans at her concerts grab their things and leave the amphitheater, they aren't screaming and shouting for Beyonce anymore. They're just thinking about how hoarse they are going to be the next day and how “Halo” will be stuck in their heads for the next 2 weeks.

        So I take a step back and look at myself, my life, my relationship with Jesus and examine how I might just be a Beyonce fan. Because let's stop talking about Beyonce for a second and shift our eyes to the King of Kings. Here's what I've had to remind myself of: God does not show up in His fancy limo for our Sunday morning worship services, put on a show for two hours, then spend the rest of the week hiding out in his mansion in Heaven.

        There are countless verses proclaiming the truth that He is near, He is at hand, He is with us, He will not leave us, He will not forget us, He will not forsake us, He will not fail us, He will keep us. His son was to be called “Immanuel” which LITERALLY translates to “God with us.”

         And there is POWER in that never-ending, unfailing, non-fleeting presence. We're promised things like help and strength, rest and calmness, protection and security.

        You want to know the funny thing. I don't even own the super popular devotion “Jesus Calling.” But in my office we have some new ones that we'll be putting on the merchandise table of our church this week and something in me told me to read the one for today. It starts out, “February 18th, 'I AM WITH YOU.” The entire devotion for this day is about trusting in, resting in, and relying on the truth that God is present.

        I feel like I'm dealing with a lot of different things in my life right now. I'm trying to juggle a lot of things, make plans and decisions and on Saturday night I had a complete and total meltdown. I felt weak and scared, I felt exhausted and worn down, I felt like a screw up, I felt like a failure, I felt like I didn't even know who I was anymore. It's taken me a weekend to look back at my life and say, “maybe it's because I treat Sunday mornings like a Beyonce concert where I get excited and loud about my how strong my God is because I know He's there and I can feel him. But then I leave as if He's already on His private jet to some getaway island and already forgotten about me. I don't treat myself like God is present. I don't handle my situations as if God is present. I don't treat the people around me as if God is present. And I certainly don't treat the God that I know and love as if He is standing right in front of me.

        I remember a lot of promises that God has made me. Whether personally and specifically to me, or to His body as a whole through His Word. But it seems that the promise I most easily forget is the promise of His presence.

        So I realize there's not much else to do about how I haven't acknowledged His presence in the past. But today I choose to walk in the promise of His presence. I choose to walk in the promise that He is near, He is at hand, He is with me, He will not leave me, He will not forget me, He will not forsake me, He will not fail me, He will keep me. So this means I get to remember that no situations or circumstances will be handled by me and me alone. Which in turn means they no longer get to rob my joy and excitement for life and all that comes with it.

I'll leave you with these:

You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy...” - Psalm 16:11

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,
for you are with me” - Psalm 23:4

"And he said, 'My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.'" - Exodus 33:14

"God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble." – Psalm 46:1

"Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.
Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you.
I will hold you up with my victorious right hand." - Isaiah 41:10
"What’s more, I am with you, and I will protect you wherever you go..."- Genesis 28:15(a)
"When you go through deep waters,
I will be with you.
When you go through rivers of difficulty,
you will not drown.
When you walk through the fire of oppression,
you will not be burned up;
the flames will not consume you. For I am the Lord, your God." Isaiah 43:2-3(a)
"For God has said, 'I will never fail you.
I will never abandon you.'" - Hebrews 13:5(a)

No comments:

Post a Comment